What is Self–esteem?
Its that part of us that, when it is low, leaves us feeling depressed, hopeless and causes us to view the world and our lives in a negative way. When our self-esteem is high, we feel that the world is a good place full of opportunities, we feel optimistic and powerful.
What Causes low Self–esteem?
All sorts of things can cause low self-esteem anything from losing a job to being bereaved. It may be that the latest blow we experience is one too many or the last straw. We may be vulnerable because of things that have happened to us as a child or our physical health may not be good. A blow to our self-esteem can occur when we feel like we have little power in situations such as, starting a new job, being part of a dysfunctional relationship or leaving home for the first time.
Ways to build self-esteem
- Begin by taking care of your physical health by eating properly and taking some exercise
- Set yourself goals that you can realistically reach and that will give you a sense of accomplishment
- Devise a plan that involves treating yourself, remind yourself that everyone including you deserves to have pleasure, fun and nurturing in their lives
- Notice the things that you do well. We learn new skills all the time, sometimes its good to reflect on how far you have come and on things you have accomplished
- Identify situations or places where you feel as though you have little power. Visualise these situations or places with you feeling more comfortable and in control
- Read up on assertiveness skills and practice these new skills on a regular basis. Having your need met will boost your self-esteem
If you would like to talk with an experienced counsellor then please contact us at Worcester Therapy Group